School Transfer Requests
Intra-District Transfer Request
If you would like your student to attend a River Delta Unified school other than their home school you will need to complete an Intra-District Transfer Request Form. For middle or high school students, applications will be accepted starting January 1, 2023. You will be notified from the requested school within 60 days of the approval or denial. For elementary schools applications for the 2023-2024 School Year are accepted from April 1, 2023 through May 15, 2023. Due to impacted classes in the elementary schools please see attached Q & A parent letter for the Intra-District (P & R Carta al padre para el intra-Distrito) selection process, transfer form is included. Acceptance/denial letters for elementary school age children will be mailed home in July 2023.
Inter-District Transfer Request
If you reside in another School District and wish for your student to attend a school in the River Delta Unified School, contact your home School District to get an Inter-District Transfer Release. Requests for the 2023-2024 School Year are accepted beginning January 1, 2023. Board Policy 5117
For an interdistrict transfer request received by the district 15 or fewer calendar days before the commencement of instruction in the school year for which the transfer is sought, the district will notify the parent/guardian of its final decision within 30 calendar days from the date the request was received.
For an interdistrict transfer request received by the district more than 15 days before the commencement of instruction in the school year for which the interdistrict transfer is sought, the district will notify the parent/guardian of its final decision as soon as possible, but no later than 14 calendar days after the commencement of instruction in the school year for which transfer is sought.
This Agreement is made between the Governing Boards of the resident and requested school district in accordance with the provisions of Education Code section 46600 et seq., and Education Code section 35160. The school districts and parent(s)/pupil are referred to in this Agreement individually as a “Party,” and collectively as the “Parties.” This Agreement applies only to these parties. If the pupil moves out of the district of residence into another district, the parent/pupil must reapply for a new interdistrict transfer permit (ITP).
Documents that must accompany a ITP application: Attendance Records, Discipline Records, Current Grades, Transcript (grades 9-12), Current IEP if applicable.
TERMS OF AGREEMENT
The Parties agree as follows:
- Effectiveness of Agreement. This Agreement shall become effective as soon as two (2) or more of the Governing Boards of the Parties have ratified the Agreement. This Agreement is effective only with regard to students in grades K-12 who are enrolled in grade levels mutually maintained by the Parties.
- Term of Agreement. Pursuant to Education Code section 46600, subdivision (a), the term of this Agreement shall be effective on July 1 of the approved year of the agreement, and shall terminate automatically on June 30 of the school year. The Agreement will govern interdistrict transfers of the Parties’ students for the term of the Agreement.
- Reapplication Requirements. A pupil with an ITP must reapply for a new ITP before being promoted to middle or high school or before transitioning from one school to another in the district. A pupil with an ITP to attend an alternative school in the district must reapply annually. In deciding whether to grant a subsequent ITP, in addition to the factors listed in sections 4 and 5, the district may require the pupil to have met the following standards: a 95% attendance rate; a 2.0 GPA or satisfactory marks in K-6; and a satisfactory discipline record (including no discipline issues for which the ITP could be revoked under paragraph 10).
- Terms and Conditions for Permitting a Transfer by the District of Attendance. The Superintendent or designee of the district of attendance may approve an ITP for a student under this Agreement based upon any of the following reasons:
- * Student is enrolled or accepted in a program not available in the district of residence;
- * To meet the student’s special mental, physical, educational, health, or safety needs as certified by a physician, school psychologist or other appropriate school, medical, or law enforcement personnel
- * As set forth in EC 46600(b), when school personnel have determined that pupil has been the victim of bullying;
- * When recommended by the School Attendance Review Board, county child welfare, probation or a social service agency in documented cases of serious home or community issues that make it inadvisable for the student to attend in the district of residence;
- * When a student has brothers or sisters concurrently attending the same requested school;
- * When parent(s)/guardian(s) provide sufficient written evidence, as required by the district that the family will be moving to a new district within 60 days and would like the student to start the year in the new district;
- * To allow a student to remain in their current school within two years of graduation or promotion from that school;
- * The pupil’s desire to remain in his/her school of current attendance for the balance of the semester or school year despite his/her parent’s or guardian’s change of address;
- * To address the childcare needs of the student in grade K-8;
- * Parent/guardian employment inside district (EC 48204). (This is a residency determination and may not be appealed);
- * To meet the conditions of the Open Enrollment Act SBX 54 (Romero).
- Terms or Conditions for Denying a Transfer by the District of Attendance. The Superintendent or designee of the district of attendance may deny an ITP for a student under this Agreement based upon any of the following reasons:
- If school facilities are overcrowded at the relevant grade level;
- If district resources are limited;
- If district determines that pupil grades, attendance, or behavior are unsatisfactory for district program; or
- Any other consideration so long as it is not arbitrary.
- Notice of Denial of Transfer. Written notice of the denial of an ITP shall be provided by the district denying the request. Written notice of the denial of an ITP shall, in all instances, advise the parent/guardian of the student whose ITP has been denied of all information required by Education Code section 46601.
- District Appeal Process. A parent/pupil must exhaust all appeals within the district before he/she may appeal the denial of an interdistrict transfer to the County Board of Education. (EC 46601)
- Transportation. Unless otherwise agreed to or provided for by law, a student attending a school other than his/her district of residence under this Agreement is not entitled to and shall not receive home to school transportation from either his/her district of residence or district of attendance.
- Costs of Transfer Students. Unless otherwise specifically provided for by law, the costs associated with the education provided to and services rendered for transfer students under this Agreement shall not be the responsibility of the district of residence.
- Terms for Revocation of an ITP. Except as otherwise limited herein, the Parties agree that an ITP may be revoked before the conclusion of the school year based upon the following grounds:
- If a student does not maintain a 95% attendance rate and/or a SART or SARB has been held;
- If a student does not maintain a 2.0 GPA in grades 7-10 or satisfactory marks in K-6;
- If a student has any suspendable offenses and/or the pupil has a behavior support plan;
- If a student is recommended for expulsion; or
- If determined that information provided to support an ITP application is inaccurate, invalid, falsified, or no longer applies.
Inter-District Release Request
If you reside in the River Delta Unified School District and wish for your student to attend another School District (English / Español) and complete an Inter-District Release Form. Mail completed form to:
River Delta Unified School District
Attention: Student Enrollment
445 Montezuma Street
Rio Vista, CA 94571